Saturday, November 25, 2006

Singing with the world's stickiest head

I could write a whole blog about the songs that get stuck in my head. Seriously. A typical entry would go like this:

First I got "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina" stuck in my head and then I got "Oh Susanna" stuck in my head, and since I don't know more than the first couple lines of either of them, my brain merged them into a version of "Oh Susanna" that replaced the words "Oh Susanna" with "Argentina." But it still only had the first couple lines, so my brain grabbed the first rhyme it could think of and built it into something that went like this:

Argentina, don't you cry for me
Cause my first name's Angelina and my last name is Jolie

which my brain found so clever that it considered adding more verses and making it into a satirical song about Angelina Jolie, but then realized that such a project would require knowing at least five times more about Angelina Jolie than I actually do, and I wasn't interested in doing that kind of research, so I just sang those first couple lines over and over in my head for the rest of the day.

I have the world's stickiest head. If only I could understand and remember enough of the words of any song that I could hum the whole thing sometimes.

No comments: