Friday, March 30, 2007

Star light, star bright

I found it on the way to work a few days ago. A turquoise blue stretchy adjustable strap, with a flashy thing on it. The flashy thing is yellow, octagonal, and faceted sort of like a really cheap toy jewel.

It has a button on the back. Push the button once, and two lights inside it flash alternately. Push it twice, and both lights flash together. Push it three times, and both lights stay on and don't flash. Push it a fourth time and it turns off.

When it's on my head, or around my neck (the adjustable strap allows for either) I look like some alien babe in Star Trek. (The Original Series, of course.)

When it's over my eye, I look like some android or cyborg alien babe in Star Trek. (Still the Original Series. Back then, they were on such a low budget that something like this item might very well have been used as a costume accessory. In multiple episodes. For multiple types of alien babes. With only minor alterations. Like wearing it on the neck instead of the head.)

Wearing it drives my husband absolutely crazy. He says it is the dumbest-looking thing he has ever seen. It's become a game between us. I put it on and see how long it takes him to look up from his video game and notice. Eventually, he notices, and grabs it off my head and throws it across the room. I try to sneak over to where it is and put it back on before he notices.

*dies laughing*

No comments: